Healing The Gut Microbiome
Do You Have The Guts To Be Healthy?
What you do to your gut you do to your brain!
Your gut microbiome (GI system) serves multiple roles in your body. Anything that negatively impacts your GI function, potentially impacts your wellness, including:
- Bowel regularity
- Immune function
- Nutrient absoroption
- Overall wellness
- Quality of life
Leading experts have developed a natural approach to addressing Gi health with simple dietary changes and targeted nutritional support using medical food, probiotics, and other balancing professional grade supplements.
What you do to your brain you do to your gut!
Many common complaints to doctors take root in the GI system and are the leading cause for primary physician visits. Take our GI quiz to determine if you could benefit from personalized GI support.
- Do you have food sensitivities or intolerances (dairy, soy, gluten, etc.)?
- Do you have occasional intestinal discomfort or abdominal cramping?
- Do you experience occasional constipation or urgent bowel movements?
- Do yo have occasional heartburn or indigestion?
- Do you have occasional poorly formed stools?
- Do you sometimes feel bloated?
- Do you experience occasional nausea?
- Have you recently experienced uncomfortable gas?
- Do you experience GI distress when under stress?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, the Metagenics protocol is something to consider.
The Big Five and Medical Food
All medical food and professional grade supplements must be prescribed. Every prescription is based on the Gut Microbiome and Detox questionnaire. The survey is broken into 15 sections and scored using a self-assessment criteria from 0 – 4 (Click here for a copy). The total score combined with sectional results determines the prescription. The most common protocol is the Big Five supplements and Medical Food combined with a 10-day Detox kit.
It takes approximately 8 weeks to reconstitute your gut microbiome, assuming you follow the prescription and eat properly. Everyone is different, so the time frame and healing process will be approximates. It is important to note that your version of eating healthy may not be in harmony with how researchers see a healthy diet. The longer it takes to wean yourself from sugars, starches, unnecessary carbs and dairy, ice cream, coffee, alcohol, etc., the quicker the healing process.
Many people about now feel anxiety and trepidation because eating ice cream has become medicinal, or drinking coffee in the morning is the only way to suffer through the work day. Take heart, there is more than one way to skin a cat (metaphor only). Take time to research the process and let Dr. Himmer know if any anxieties surrounding one or more of your habits is dragging you down.
Ultra GI Replenish is a medical food program that features a proprietary prebiotic blend that support beneficial GI microbiota. It is designed to heal a compromised or inflamed gut. Ultra GI Replenish is specially formulated to support the increased nutritional needs of patients with compromised gut function and malabsorption associated with digestive disorders.
Ultra GI Replenish is a targeted nutritional approach to replenish the intestinal lining and support the good GI microbiota established through early nourishment. According to the National Institutes of Health, approximately 70 million people in the U.S. suffer from some type of digestive condition, or 1 out of every 5 people.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) from youth into adulthood, combined with genetics, unhealthy diets, stress, and some medications contribute to a compromised gut microbiome. No one can start completely over, but nutritional science is making it easier than ever to give yourself the most powerful “gut restart” possible.
UltraFlora Balance is a daily probiotic that gives support for GI and Immune Health. For many individuals, occasional digestive discomfort is an unpleasant reality that presents a significant obstacle to reaching individual health and lifestyle goals. A 2013 survey revealed that ca. 72% of American adults experience at least one GI symptom per month such as diarrhea, gas, bloating, stomach pain, frequent bowel movements, or constipation.
UltraFlora Balance is one of the most recommended, practitioner-exclusive probiotic formulas in use worldwide. It comes in a non-dairy based capsule. The World Health Organization defines probiotics as live microorganisms, which when administered in adequate amounts confer health benefits to the host. Probiotics support health through three mechanisms:
- Competition with unhealthy organisms
- Enhancing immune cell function
- Breaks down toxins produced by bad bacteria
OmegaGenics EPA-DHA 720
Omega-3s are essential fatty acids, meaning they must be obtained from the diet. EPAs are cardio-protective, and have been shown to reduce blood pressure, triglyceride levels, and inflammation. Omega-3s can improve neurological function, vision, and the fat bilayer that encases most cells in the body. Fifty percent of our brain is made up of omega-3 fats. Our experts for years have told us to eat a low-fat diet that is bad for the brain.
Our brain is rich is cholesterol and in saturated fat. Without adequate fat, we have trouble with our brain. Chemicals, additive, and preservatives in our food negatively affect our brain. They’ve studied children who are given colored water with additives and coloring versus water from pomegranates and the kids who have the colored water from the additives all get ADD and hyperactive (Dr. Mark Hyman).
SPM Active is a specialized, fractionated marine lipid concentrate offering a targeted nutritional approach that is designed to support the body’s natural capacity to respond to physical challenges and resolve physical stress. In recent research the following Executive Summary preceded the research
- Groundbreaking research has discovered that SPMs are produced at the inflamed site after the initial inflammatory response, and function as “resolution agonists,”orchestrating resolution to facilitate the return to homeostasis and tissue healing.
- An important key to controlling/resolving inflammation and subsequently preventing chronic inflammatory conditions lies in SPMs and their pro-resolving properties.
- SPMs are produced from long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids—especially EPA and DHA—illustrating the importance of appropriate nutrition in the body’s resolution of inflammation.
- Although EPA and DHA are metabolic precursors of SPMs, SPMs are directly responsible for resolution activities whereas EPA and DHA are involved in other beneficial biological activities.
In layman’s terms, SPM Active is the most powerful anti-inflammation product on the market.
PhytoMulti defends cells from free radical damage and oxidative stress. It recharges cellular health and nourishes the cells with a complex array of phytonutrients. PhytoMulti is the only multi providing a research-based, broad spectrum of phytonutrients and plant extracts scientifically tested for antioxidant protection and DNA stability potential.
PhytoMulti’s science-based spectrum, with enhance quality vitamins and minerals is designed to recharge, nourish, and defend your cells. It addressed the following body systems and functions:
- Brain and nervous system
- Eye & vision health
- Cardiovascular health
- Liver health
- Immune system health
Despite the name, vitamin D is considered a pro-hormone and not actually a vitamin. Vitamins are nutrients that cannot be created by the body and therefore must be taken in through our diet. However, vitamin D can be synthesized by our body when sunlight hits our skin. It is estimated that sensible sun exposure on bare skin for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times per week allows most people to produce sufficient vitamin D, but vitamin D breaks down quite quickly, meaning that stores can run low, especially in winter.
The purpose of taking D3 are:
- Maintain the health of bones and teeth.
- Support the health of the immune system, brain, and nervous system.
- Regulate insulin levels and aid diabetes management.
- Support lung function and cardiovascular health.
Clear Change 10-Day Detox Kit
The Clear Change® 10-Day Program featuring UltraClear RENEW is designed to enhance the body’s natural metabolic detoxification process while providing adequate fuel for both cleansing and other daily activities—providing energy and support for overall well-being. Many people benefit from completing a 10-day metabolic detoxification program two to three times a year.*
Metabolic detoxification is a natural bodily process that consists of 3 major detoxification pathways: Phase I (functionalization), Phase II (conjugation), and Phase III (antiporter activity). In this process, fat soluble compounds must undergo transformation and become water-soluble before they can be excreted.
The 10-day program is ideal for anyone wanting to benefit from an occasional “Spring Cleaning” or somebody who eats a reasonably healthy diet, exercises regularly, and manages stress adequately. It is also ideal for individuals who scored <50 on the Metabolic Detoxification Questionnaire.
This convenient 10-day program includes:
UltraClear RENEW (Berry, Chai, or Vanilla)—an advanced, specialized nutritional powder mix formulated for metabolic detoxification, including support for alkalinization, balanced liver detoxification capacity, and heavy metal metabolism*
- Features a low-allergy-potential rice protein base and is designed to help nutritionally support the detoxification of potentially harmful compounds by the liver and reduce exposure to food allergens*
- Supports Phase I and II detoxification, delivering nutrients to help enhance activities of several liver detoxification enzymes and antioxidants to help support the clearance of reactive intermediary compounds.*
- Provides advanced support for Phase III detoxification by nutritionally supporting alkalinity and excretion*
AdvaClear®—supports balanced metabolic detoxification activity and provides antioxidant protection against reactive oxygen intermediates produced during the detoxification process.
- Delivers methylated vitamin B12 and folic acid along with nutrients designed to enhance the activities of several liver detoxification enzymes*
Free shaker cup—convenient way to mix a nutritional powder
Program guide—easy-to-follow instructions, menu plans, and recipes
Free webinar—on-demand presentation from Metagenics clinicians